Sunday, December 30, 2007

updates and underwater pictures

So we've had some requests for some stories of the unpleasant nature. I can only guess that those requests stem from the need for a laugh or sheer, honest jealousy. Either way, I thought I would oblidge. :) I do have to preface this with the fact that there haven't been too many unpleasant or bad situations on the trip (and I hope I don't jinx us by saying that) so there's really not too much to report. So, to better entertain you, I've included some of our underwater pictures from the rented digital camera we had at the Great Barrier Reef! Here we go...

Worst Accommodation... Has to be Backpackers By The Bay in Airlie Beach - DON'T STAY THERE! Aside from the rancid smell wafting out of the kitchen area and filling up the whole common area, the place was just not clean and there is obviously no one really in charge or else they don't care b/c the whole place needed work and major updating. On top of that, we had a roommate who didn't smell so good. I think his feet were the main problem - it makes my lip curl just thinking about it! Nice guy but WOW, those feet were something else!!! He also said (and I quote) "This is the best hostel I've stayed in!" Hmmm...

Insects... Flies are very abundant in parts of Australia, especially this time of year. We encountered numerous ones in the Blue Mountains (where they apparently nest and millions hatch around November each year!) and quite a few between Adelaide and Melbourne. Think swarming around your head, landing on your face and anywhere up to 20 or so riding on your back at any given time! Not fun! We also had lots of spider webs across our faces on our walks through the Daintree Rainforest. Eeew!

Bad Weather... I probably shouldn't even mention this b/c we've been blessed with so much sunshine on this trip, but our drive along the Great Ocean Road was accompanied by less-than-perfect weather. The drive is a very scenic one along the Victoria coast and instead of bright, sunny days like we expected, we were met with much cooler temperatures and rain. We really felt like we were back in Ireland!!!! Not the weather we expected or hoped for!

More Bad Accommodation... We had the opportunity to stay in a beautiful cottage in Apollo Bay along the Great Ocean Road but the price was about double what we had been paying so we opted for the more affordable option which was crashing in a room above a bar (w/ live band). Pretty dingy set-up but the bathrooms were surprisingly clean and the band stopped playing around midnight... I guess it looked worse than it actually was.

Worst Food... I apologize in advance to all of our Aussie friends but Vegemite has to be the one! I think you have to be Australian to have a true appreciation for it... or else sheer determination to like it!

Aside from the above, we've been quite lucky and have really been enjoying ourselves. We're in Melbourne now and I'll have to do another post to fill you in on our Christmas and New Year's activities - none of which will make the "worst" list!

I'll try to do a better job in the future of including these "bad" experiences in our posts. I'm sure it will make for more interesting reading!

Oh yeah, and one more suggestion from our good friend Rob in Bath was a favorite drinks list. So here goes...

Thailand - Chang Beer (minus the Chang-Over), Tiger Beer, Buckets and Coconut Milkshakes (recovery from the beer and buckets)
Australia - Coopers Ale, Cascade Premium Lager, Samuel's Gorge Shiraz and if you like a nice buttery Chardonnay give Golding Lenswood 2005 Chardonnay a try - pretty yummy!

More to come soon...

Hugs & Kisses,
Renee & Chuck

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so trying the Chard!!! I LOVE buttery whites!!!!! Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and will have an equally kick-ass New Year! Love you and can't wait to see the next round! -Kara

Anonymous said...

It is so great to hear from you two. The underwater pictures look amazing. Kurt and I are getting ready for the toga party at the McCoy's. You would think that the experience we had doing this is college would make us pros, but we have no idea what we are doing. We are having out annuanl "Puerto Rican" New Year's Day party tom. We wish you were here. Miss you. Katie and Kurt

Unknown said...

The pictures are very cool and I can't believe you went scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef!

Continue having the time of your lives and I'll see you soon!

Love-
Jen

Unknown said...

The pictures are very cool and I can't believe you went scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef!

Continue having the time of your lives and I'll see you soon!

Love-
Jen